Friday, July 6, 2012

Chet Baker

via Rick Stolk
When I was reading Jeroen de Valk's beautiful book 'Memories Of A Lyrical Trumpeter' (available in English under the title: 'Chet Baker: His Life And Music') there was a passage I was very intrigued by:

"...On April 1st, there is this peculiar performance for the German television: Chet looks like a living corpse and wears a ghostly white suit. But his playing is breathtaking. There is an atmospehere of urgence, of 'now or never', as he pushes endless streams of melodies out of his trumpet..."
When the guitarist's amplifier produces feedback, he says in an irritated way: 'Please don't play with it while I'm singing this tune!' (You can see that bit on25:50)

(From Jeroen de Valk's book as mentioned above, page 199)

I immediately want to find footage described like that. It is on a DVD called 'Torino 1959/Stuttgart 1988' from Impro-Jazz) which happened to be in my personal collection.

It's a saddening piece of film, and it breaks my heart to see my beloved Chet so tired and cranky on April Fools' Day 1988. On the 13th of May he was gone.

Theaterhaus Jazztage, Stuttgart Germany
April 1st, 1988

Chet Baker - Trump
r, Piano

Walter Schmucker - BassVincent Seno - Drumset
Nicola Stilo - Guita








































No comments:

Post a Comment